As Victoria has introduced compulsory minimum standards that will apply to organisations that provide services for children to help protect children from all forms of abuse. The child safe standards form part of the Victorian Government’s response to the Betrayal of Trust Inquiry.
The child safe standards are as follows:
Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
Standard 2: A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
Standard 3: A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
Standard 5: Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
Standard 7: Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
As PRACE strives to develop dynamic, responsive and innovative educational programs, teaching and learning experiences, it will intentionally promote and protect the interests and safety of children, and a child-safe environment for all children and young people in its care.
This will be achieved by:
- having a zero tolerance for child abuse
- working to actively listen to and empower children
- having systems to protect children from abuse, and will take all allegations and concerns very seriously and responding to them consistently in line with the organisation’s policies and procedures
- being committed to promoting cultural safety for Aboriginal children, cultural safety for children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds, and to providing a safe environment for children with a disability
- engaging only the most suitable people to work with children along with providing high quality supervision and professional development.
PRACE College cares about our student’s feelings and safety. If you have a concern about this you can talk to Jane Davey, the Assistant Principal of PRACE College. Jane is also PRACE’s Child Safe Officer.
Child Safe Policy and Procedure