SORRY DAY AND RECONCILIATION WEEK
Posted May 31, 2017
After listening to the personal experience of one student, the Connecting the Community program was inspired to acknowledge and educate others on Sorry Day and Reconciliation Week in Australia.
On Monday, 29th May 2017 the program held an event to acknowledge and share with the other PRACE participants the Reconciliation Week’s journey and events of Sorry Day.
The day’s events included:
- An information video called Wurundjeri Welcome to Country featuring Colin Hunter Junior
- Reading of a Dreamtime story
- Display of aboriginal instruments
- Brief history of Aboriginal Art and paintings with participants having the chance to draw Aboriginal symbols.
- Recognition of Aboriginal/ Torres Strait Islanders AFL players and contribution to the game.
- Rendition of Archie Roach’s song ‘Took the Children Away’.
- A performance by Melbourne musician “Stax” who played and educated everyone on the didgeridoo.
We were pleased that so many staff and students could join us for this very special event and observe the significance of the day.